Saturday, June 14, 2008

Surgery and the Worlds Greatest Husband/Father

It has been a while since my last post, a lot has happened. Last Friday I got a call that there was a cancellation and we could go see the surgeon that day if we wanted to. So we did and she surprised me when she found a second hernia in my belly button. She suggested I get them fixed and we didn't want to wait too long so yesterday I had the surgery. Congratulations Chad, you won, but I don't exactly know what we were betting.
We got there at 6:30 in the morning to fill out paperwork and get ready for the surgery. I have to say Doug knows me very well. He didn't tell me anything that he knew I would freak out about, like the IV or how hard the recovery would be (he knows those are the things I hated worst about having a baby). So the first I heard about the I.V. was when the doctor was explaining the entire procedure.

I have to say that I was very calm and doing very well...until they sent Doug out to the waiting area and took me back to the operation room. Then I panicked. I don't know why but it was really hard to have to go all by myself. They had me lay on the table and were covering me will a ton of warm blankets and I was just shaking. They kept asking me all these questions, that they already knew the answers to, but I couldn't focus enough to answer them. The next thing I knew I was waking up screaming/yelling (I don't know what) in the recovery room, which by the way had several other people in it. I heard another patient telling her mom, or nurse about it after. The nurse said that is common when someone is upset before they are put under.

Now enters my wonderful husband. He explained to me that after the doctor fixed the 2 hernias she was checking around and found 2 more. So I had a total of 4 hernias fixed! Doug has been amazing. He has completely taken care of me and James for the past few days. He even slept in the guest room last night so I could have the whole bed and be propped up and watch TV in the middle of the night when I woke up, several times. It was kind of fun to lay in bed and listen to Doug playing with James downstairs. James has been loving all the extra fun he gets to have with dad. So Happy Fathers Day to the best Husband and Father we could ask for. Thanks for all the extra help and work you have done to make us happy. We love you.

3 comments:

Olivia said...

Natalie,
I'm glad your traumatic experience is over and your on the mend.

Amber and The Boys said...

OK, you had me laughing out loud that you woke up yelling in the recovery room! That is great! Glad that it is all over. I think I would be freaked out to have surgery even after having three babies. Hope you recover quickly. Your pictures and post about Doug are really sweet!

deb said...

Nat,
what in the world?
you had 4 hernias? how are you? I cant imagine how much pain you are in. Is there anything I can do? are you home alone with james. Im really worried about you. I do think its stinkin funny that you woke up screaming. ha ha that is a great story and a great memory. Let me know if I can help in anyway. I can make food and clean and take care of babies. let me know k.