Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Adventures in the Snow

My family came to visit this weekend and it snowed the entire time! My parents, Blake, Jordyn, Brandon, and Allison all came late Saturday night so we had a relaxing Sunday and Chad and Shannon and their family came up Sunday afternoon. On Monday we decided that it would be fun to go sledding. So we bundled up all the kids and ourselves, it was snowing pretty hard, and ventured out.
James loved playing in the snow and didn't seem to mind getting wet and cold at all! I was so mad that I forgot my camera because he was so cute. He especially liked eating the snow, with no hands, just stuck his face down in the snow and licked it up! After sledding we decided to go to Big Jud's to get hamburgers. Chad wanted to do the 1 pound hamburger challenge, the rest of us all split the hamburgers.
When we got home from lunch we couldn't find our driveway! The wind had picked up and blown huge drifts across it and we were stuck out on the road. Luckily we have really nice neighbors, with not so long of a driveway, and they let us park there. Then we made the long cold trek home. For a few minutes I felt really bad for the pioneers. It only snowed probably 6-8 inches, but this is what our back yard looked like this morning. The big drift was a little lower in this picture because it was after all the boys jumped off the roof into the snow!

This morning everyone helped Doug dig the cars out so he could go to work, then carried bags out to the cars. Our driveway is about 100 yards long, so it was quite the ordeal. On the way out of town my parents stopped at a gas station and saw a guy with a plow. They talked to him and paid him to come plow our driveway for us. I am very grateful for this because I didn't know what we were going to do this winter. The plows came and about 15 minutes later we had a clear driveway!

James loved watching them work. He would run to the window and watch, then run back to his dump truck and push it around for a while, then run back to the window, then back to his truck. I thought it was so cute how excited he was about all of it.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

When I was carrying Lexi to the house, I was thinking about the pioneers also and how horrible it would have been for them. Funny that we had the same thoughts. We had a great time at your house! Thanks so much for having us up!