Monday, May 24, 2010

James' World


For the past two months our family has been dealing with some life changing events. We discussed for a while whether we would just keep it to ourselves, tell our immediate family, or share it with everyone. We came to the conclusion since this is such a big part of our lives, and we would probably be posting things in future blog posts, that when we found out for sure what was going on, we would just do a blog post about it so everyone would know and we didn't feel like we had this big secret we were trying to keep from everyone. So what is our life changing news? James has been diagnosed with Autism. Wow, that was a lot harder to type then I thought it would be. Maybe doing this will be a little therapeutic for me.
This may get a little long, so if you are not really interested in reading the rest, don't worry, I am not going to be offended. About two months ago James' nursery leader pulled me aside when I dropped him off. She started asking me if we had him in preschool or anything. Then she reluctantly started telling me about her grandson who had an Autism Spectrum Disorder(ASD) and said she noticed a lot of the same things in James. I was pretty caught off guard by this, but didn't doubt what she had said. We had always joked about James' "Autism" his whole life, but I never actually thought there was any truth about it, he just did a few things that were a little autistic. I had read things and thought that it just didn't entirely fit. I shared the information with Doug and we decided to have his 3 year check up about a month early. The next few days were so hard for me, just thinking and worrying. On the morning of the appointment the doctor called in sick! Great, another day of worrying. But it actually turned out perfect, the extra day actually gave me a chance to calm down and be less emotional. As it turned out the Doctor was home sick and decided to read up on Autism because he had a parent in asking questions that he didn't know much about, so it was fresh on his mind.
We told the doctor all our concerns about James as well as what we had heard from others. Our biggest concern was James' speech delay. James talks, but about 95% of what he says is just repeating things he had heard. I learned this is called echolalia and it is a symptom of Autism. The doctor said he would be surprised if James did not have Autism and referred us to several specialists, a hearing screening to rule out hearing loss, a speech therapist, and a Neuropsychologist to get a diagnosis. We had the hearing test, it came back normal just like we thought it would. We set up appointments with the Neuropsychologist, it took a month just to get the appointments set up.
Meanwhile I contacted the school district to try and get things going there. Because the school year is basically over, I met with all of the specialists for the school, they did their evaluations and we wrote James' IEP for him to start preschool in the fall. Overall this process has been slow and frustrating. We just want to know answers and how to help James and it just seemed to take so long.
We finally met with the Neuropsychologist and she asked us questions about James, observed him a little and gave us several evaluations to fill out. She explained her feelings that Autism is over-diagnosed and she would probably give James a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. That sounded good to us, we knew he wasn't severely autistic. A few days later we went in for what was supposed to be several hours of evaluation. James was having a bad day and demonstrated most of his autistic behavior. He wouldn't do anything asked of him and had several meltdowns. So after 45 minutes they told us they had enough information and we could go. As the technician described James as, "being in his own world." a statement I have made several times.
Two weeks later we went in for the official diagnosis: Autism. It was a little hard to hear because we were expecting something less, but at least we are on the right track to getting James help. As she described it to me; it is like James is in a room with no doors, just windows. He can't get out so we need to show him the windows and help him get out of the room. She recommended Speech therapy, which James starts this week, Behavioral therapy, which we can only start if we can get on a Medicaid program, and Occupational therapy, which isn't as important, so we will see how the Medicaid program goes.
During the past two months I have learned so much about James, and things are making more sense. Some of these things are: I now understand why he says "ouch" whenever someone touches him, why he doesn't talk to people, and why he has a hard time interacting with peers. It helps to understand why he has so many tantrums and that time-out and other forms of discipline don't work for him. It is not just because we are bad parents. It makes more sense why he can quote an entire movie, but not answer a simple question of "What do you want for lunch". I also understand better why he wanders and doesn't have to be close to mom or dad, he also is fearless and puts himself in some dangerous situations because of it.
We know that James is going to have a very difficult time, and we are going to have a difficult time raising him. But we have hope that with the right kind of help and guidance from professionals from us he will be able to function normally someday.
I don't know why God decided to give us James, or why James needed to have this trial in his life. But I do know that this was God's will for James and for our family. It was not an accident or a result of anything we have done as parents. We love him so much and are so grateful to have him in our family.

10 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks for sharing this with everyone. We love you guys so much! I can't imagine anyone being better parents for James.

cr said...

Oh Natalie. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I was getting a little teary while I was reading about it. I've taught autistic students before and I completely understand the challenging aspects of it. I'm glad you are getting help for it so early. My VERY difficult autistic student didn't get help until he was almost 7. By that point he had alienated himself from his family and peers. I am confident that James is in the ideal situation - you being his mommy and Doug being his daddy. I'm sure because of your love, he will be able to live a good and productive life. Lots of love from me. Call me if you ever need to vent.

Chad Keyser said...

Thanks for writing that Natalie, I can understand how difficult it must be to be so open about everything that is going. I agree with your decision tell everyone, I think that it will be strengthening to you to know that all your friends and family are sharing in your trials and supporting you.

Just so you know, we have never thought you or Doug where bad parents; In fact quite the opposite, we have been amazed at how patiently you guys have dealt with James, and have thought many time that you guys are the right parents for him. I have to imagine that this stage you are at now, finding out, accepting and learning what to do, has got to be one of the most difficult part of this trial. I think that as we figure out what James needs, how to communicate with him and accentuate his talents it will get easier. We look forward to learning more about Autism and learning how we can help. Don’t think that we love him any less, and feel free to lean on us whenever you need to. We love you guys and will pray for you.

P.S. James is totally going to ride a bike before Myra

REYNOLDS FAMILY said...

Natalie..you have me in TEARS!! What an angel you have and the Lord has blessed you with cute James because of your ability to be such a good mom! Good job on getting help this early that is HUGE..I need to e-mail you because Abby had A LOT of these traits (non social, cognitive, & language delay, etc etc) we had her tested as well, they didn't actually diagnose her as autistic but I have had to become the narrator in everything she does and I don't know about James but pictures are EVERYTHING she is very visual..she has been going to an early intervention preschool through the district and it has done WONDERS!! I bet once he starts that preschool you will be amazed what just the social interaction does for him..someone told me that toddlers cannot learn academically until they are ready socially. You are a great mom and he is such a cute boy that is the best thing you can do for him..I'm sure you have hard days if you need to vent or talk I'm here!!

Sarah McK said...

Excellent post. It described your process and feelings so clearly. Thank you for sharing the news with all of us so that we can add James to our regular prayers. I have worked with quite a few autistic children, and I even had one who was fully integrated into my third grade classroom. James seems very smart and high functioning, and with the right parents a kid like that can overcome a lot and achieve many things. You and Doug are just the right kind of parents. You are in our prayers.

Becky Bornholdt said...

Natalie and Doug,
Thanks for sharing your situation. I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through such a difficult trial. It's hard to open up to and be vulnerable to everyone's comments, judgements, opinions and advice. But hopefully you will also get the love and support you need at this time and other difficult times to come. Although many are going through or have gone through similar situations, no one can completely understand all of your personal situation and the emotions you deal with every day. Be patient with yourself. The Lord knew that you would be strong enough to handle this. He will be there to help with the answers you need both long term and every minute of every day. He loves you and James and is mindful of your situation and also wants the best for each of you. We love you guys!! Hang in there! Keep in touch!

CL said...

Natalie,
Thanks for writing this post. My parents had mentioned you were having him tested. You guys will be in our prayers as you learn about and face this new reality. My husband's cousin and his wife have two 4 year olds who both have Autism. She has done a lot of research herself so if it would help I know she'd be more than willing to listen and or talk to you about this tough adjustment. Let me know if you'd like her e-mail.
*hugs and prayers*
Cheryl-Lynn

Mullin Fam said...

Natalie,

My mom did tell me that James was diagnosed with Autism. I'm so glad you shared this story so we could understand a little bit of what you went through! You and Doug are amazing people and will figure out what is best for James!

AliBrand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AliBrand said...

Nat like everyone else we are grateful for your post and your testimony. We babysit our friends little girl who has autism and just love her to death every time I see her she brings a huge smile to my face. James has been the same way for us every time I see him or read a story about him he just brings a huge smile to my face and I cant help but think "what a talented little boy" now that we know he has autism I my perspective has not changed, he is truly a talented little boy. I have always admired the way you and doug parent and we look forward to having many wonderful experiences with James as he grows and tastes of the wondrous world we live in. We're looking forward to seeing you and the fam in Colorado please let us know how we can be of assistance with the plans