Thursday, September 16, 2010

Preschool Day 2

Today was James' second day of school.  He surprised me by being excited to go instead of screaming "No, not the one!" like I expected.  Also I no longer have any delusions about him being the most difficult kid in the class.  I know for sure that he is the most difficult kid in the class.  When I picked him up today, again he wasn't in the classroom, but walking the halls with his teacher.  When I asked how he did, they all looked at each other like "you tell her".  Finally his teacher said, "About the same."  Which means not good.  Finally she told me how he had a really hard time with things, and asked if I thought getting him his own aid would help.  So that is where we stand, James is having a hard time, it will get better, but it will take time.  And his teacher is going to ask that he has a one-on-one aid to help him be at school.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Sorry that day 2 wasn't any better. So, is this preschool specifically for kids with autism? Hopefully things get better as he gets more use to it!

Natalie Allen said...

This is just the preschool that the school district does. The "normal" kids have to pay tuition ($80 for the semester) but the special needs kids get in free, so the class is about 50-50.

Sarah McK said...

An aid is a perfect solution! They do it with lots of young kids in early education. He'll get to participate and enjoy but he'll have someone to take care of him and refocus him when there are problems.