Monday, May 20, 2013

Happy Birthday Mikey

Mikey turned 4 on Saturday.  It was a really fun day for us, and we are pretty sure he enjoyed it too.  He had been begging for roller skates like "daddy's"  so he could skate really fast.  He didn't understand that his weren't fast because he doesn't really know how to do it, not because of the skates.  It was pretty exciting because it is the first time we have had a kid come up with something they really really want on their own, without us making any kind of suggestions.  First thing on Saturday morning he said "Did you buy me roller skates for my birthday?"  I told him we could open his presents as soon as Billy woke up.  The next thing I knew he was opening his roller skates without us.  We almost missed it.
Mikey putting on his skates
After breakfast a couple of boys came over (one James' age and one Mikey's) while their parents went to a high school graduation.  So we had a small birthday party for Mikey.  We did water balloons, and played outside, had popsicles, and lunch.  After his friends went home Mikey had a short nap then Doug took him to the skating rink to try out his new skates.  He loved it.


Once they got home from Skating we took the boys to the store to pick out a swimming pool with their birthday money.  We seem to buy a new pool every year, and always debate for a long time what kind to get.  We don't want a big one because we want to be able to take it down every time so they boys don't have access to it constantly, it has to be shallow enough for Billy, blow up ones pop, the "Snap side" pools always crack and break, and the hard plastic pools blow away.  So we went with a blow up one and I guess we will see how it goes.  Once we got home we tried to have dinner.  Mikey choose pepperoni pizza, but the boys were too excited to get the pool set up.  They swam for a few minutes, then we did cake.  Mikey insisted on having a "roller skate cake"  I tried to talk him into a Batman one, but he insisted.  I am kind of glad because it was much easier, and after James' cake I needed to do an easy one.




Overall I think he had a really fun day, and I love that there is an activity that he can go do with his Dad for some fun one-on-one time.  We love our tiny little 4-year-old!

No comments: