Friday, January 14, 2011

Moving to Clovis New Mexico!

Over the past month we have been moving to the exciting town of Clovis New Mexico.  My first impression of the town (when we drove down before Christmas to find a house) was that it smelled like cows.  After Christmas and New Years we loaded up the car (barely fitting everything in) and drove to our new home.  We found out Sunday night we had no water.  I called first thing Monday morning and we got it turned on Tuesday evening, so after finally getting clean we all felt much better about our new home.  Doug didn't have much work to do so he was able to help unpack and we got our house livable in a few days.  
We really like our new house, well the layout anyway.  It is very old but it will be fine for the time we are here.  The living room/dining room/ family room is just one big room which we like.  
The big room


The big room from the other direction
The kitchen is tiny but more cupboards than we had in our last house.  There are several empty.
The kitchen
James gets the small room.  We couldn't set up his bunk bed which he was sad about but I think he will love it when Mikey moves out of a crib and into his room.
James' room
The master bedroom is a good size with a TINY bathroom.  There is a nice pink shower in the corner that is so small my face is practically smashed against the wall but it will work.
Master bedroom
Things are still pretty messy from unpacking but it gets better everyday.  The boys love the fenced backyard (and so does mom) but it only took James 2 days to figure out how to drag the slide over to the gate and open it.  We also have a garage that we will probably never use since there is no garage door opener and we have to take the padlock off every time we want to open it.  
However I have decided everything I dislike about Clovis and the house (which is a lot) is offset by how much I love the ward and James' school.
We went to our new ward last Sunday and everyone was so friendly and welcoming.  Very opposite from our last ward.  Mikey went to nursery for the entire time without Mom and Dad and James did better than expected in Sunbeams for the first time.  Although they are going to get a second teacher since 3 of the 5 kids are special needs kids, one of them is even in James' class at school.  
I got James registered for school as soon as we got there and he started on the 4th.  He is the only Autistic kid in the class but the entire school is for special needs children so they have a lot to offer James.  He loves the structure and is thriving in the environment.  He gets to go 4 days a week for 3 hours which is way more than his 2 day a week 2 hours a day school in Idaho.  He also gets to ride the school bus, which is good since when it is time to pick him up Mikey is taking a nap.  For now I think he is just going to ride the bus home.  They also serve lunch which is great for my extremely picky eater to get to try different food and watch the other kids eat.  They also work on potty training which will happen someday hopefully for James.  Overall I am very excited for James to be in this school and getting the help he needs.  And because of this I guess Clovis isn't as bad as it could be. 

1 comment:

CL said...

Wow- sounds like things are going well overall! I'm so glad you're in a friendly ward- it makes such a difference. Glad James' school is so good too. I hope all the icky stuff fades into the background as the positives grow and grow!