Wednesday, September 15, 2010

James Starts Preschool

Before I get to the point of this post I would just like to share my newest favorite thing.  Doug found out about this from some guys from work, and as it turns out we are the only ones I know that didn't already know about this, but just in case someone else doesn't know I decided to share.  So my new favorite thing is called Bountiful Baskets  Some ladies in Arizona started this.  You pay $15 and you get a ton of produce.  It is pretty fresh and you get 1/2 vegetables and 1/2 fruits.  This is great for our family because we eat so much more fruit and veggies now that Mikey loves them so much.
Bountiful Basket
Also I found James taking a nap like this the other day.  Yes he is actually asleep.
Taking a nap
Now on to the main event!  Yesterday James started Preschool!  I was so excited, James had no idea what "school" even was.  There are 10 other kids in James' class and about 1/2 the class are special needs kids.  After yesterday I believe that James is probably the most difficult kid in the class.
Going to School
1st day of school!
We dropped him off in the gym.  They had a basket for their baskets and name tags to pin on their shirts. James flipped out when they tried to take his backpack off.  And refused to let them put his name tag on. So I had to chase him down, pin his name tag on and take off his backpack.  Once he realized how cool the name tag was he was OK with taking his backpack off.  Then I had to pry Mikey away from the balls and carry him screaming out of the school.  It was fun to have some time with just me and Mikey.  We got to go to the library which we can't go with James.
Then I decided to pick James up on the bike.  I thought he would really enjoy it since he loves bike rides so much. The school is only a mile down the road from our house so it isn't really far, but the road is closed so we have to go on a detour around the block...3 miles.  I didn't think it would be so bad since we have gone to the park a few times.  But I was dying by the time we got there.
When we walked into the school I could see James in the vestibule with one of his teachers.  At first I thought I was late, but he was just having a really hard time in class and needed to have a break.  I guess he had a lot of meltdowns, he had a hard time following the rules and sharing.  We expected this but it was still hard.  To make it worse he didn't even care that we got to ride the bike home (which was awful).  He had a hard time the rest of the day.  I hope things go better tomorrow, but I think things are going to get worse before they get better.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I've looked into doing the Bountiful Baskets. It seems like a really good idea. I just haven't ever gotten around to actually signing up or anything. Is it just during the summer time?

Natalie Allen said...

No they do it year round because they get stuff fro California and stuff.

Judi said...

I don't know if I would check the funny or cool boxes on these, except for the bountiful baskets. but I did let out a bit of a sympathetic laugh as I pictured you dragging Michael out of the school. I am so sorry things haven't been ideal but I think it will get better.