Thursday, June 2, 2011

Best Night Ever!

Ok, that is probably a bit of an over statement, but I have been in a bit of a funk lately.  It is sooooo hot and dry here.  The wind has finally stopped blowing, but that just makes it hotter.  Also we started James' Gluten free, casein free diet 100% last week.  So we haven't been eating bread or dairy for over a week.  Doug is having a hard time with everything, and I am really having a hard time not having bread around.  I have tried several times to make bread, but it always comes out so dense and dry.  I just have to keep practicing.  
They boys decided to eat their tacos and jello with chopsticks!
It seems like every new recipe I try comes out OK, but not great and definitely not as tasty as things that are filled with gluten and casein.  Tonight we tried this new recipe Thai Chicken Wraps.  It was soooo good!  Probably something we would eat even if we weren't on this diet.  We did change a few things, like I cut the onions smaller, cooked the vegetables longer, and we used this sandwich wrap bread that I have been making instead of tortillas (where would I even find rice tortillas in Clovis NM?). Oh I almost forgot to mention, Doug didn't even notice that the veggies were BROCCOLI!  He actually didn't even notice he was eating broccoli.

While we were eating dinner I thought I had heard some rain.  We have been getting storm clouds in the afternoons, but no rain.  It hasn't rained a drop since we moved here.  The only moisture we have seen was 1 snow storm in February.  I wasn't very hopeful for today's clouds to bring anything since we only had a 10-20% chance for rain but, when I looked outside it was raining.  I think I made such a big deal about it that both boys were immediately done with dinner and outside playing in it.  I was tempted to join them.
James jumping in the rain

Mikey found a puddle
I have to say, a good dinner and a nice rain storm have done so much to lift my spirits.  Hopefully it isn't another 5 months before we see moisture again.

2 comments:

CL said...

Oh life in the desert. Such a fun thing. If you're anything like Phoenix you'll get monsoon season in August and should see rain. They get 10 inches a year. Vegas on the other hand only gets 4 inches a year- so yeah, we rarely see rain.

Judi said...

Glad to see they still have the chop sticks. I need to order some more for Grammy's house.

Looking forward to your posting this yummy looking recipe.