I am sure you are all wondering why I titled this "raising a fish". Let me explain. As I sit to write this I am exhausted, a similar feeling to running a mile. I just had to change James' diaper which may not sound hard if you've never had to do it. Here is how it goes. Lay him down on the changing table, while I am picking up a toy from the floor he rolls over. Turn him back over and give him the toy, which he throws on the floor and turns back over. Take his pants off, grab a different toy and turn him back over. Once I find the right toy that will occupy him long enough I can take the diaper off. As soon as the diaper is off he rolls right over again, before I can clean him off. So now I not only have to wipe him but also the changing table, and occasionally his legs and my hands. I decide it might be easier to wipe him before I turn him back over. So after everything is clean I grab the new diaper, several toys from the floor and take a deep breath. Open the new diaper and put it down then grab James and lay him on the diaper pinning him down with my arm. As I reach to pull the diaper up around him he rolls over undoing all my work. He now stands up and wraps his arms around my neck and jumps off the changing table. I put the diaper back down hold him down again and start over. After several attempts I finally get the diaper somewhat on him. By this time one or both of us is crying. I have to button his shirt while he is standing up, I look at his pants and decided he doesn't really need them and set him on the floor where he immediately starts playing with all of the toys he has thrown there.
A lot has happened this past week, but I don't have a lot of pictures of it so I have had a hard time deciding what to post this week. James got hives on Monday and Tuesday. It seemed like he was allergic to something but we couldn't really figure it out. We hadn't fed him anything new and I washed all his clothes and bedding even though we hadn't changed detergent or anything. Wednesday they went away except for when he fell off the fire place and got really upset then they came back next to his eyes.
We got my bike on Saturday and went for our first family bike ride. James hated it. I think he enjoyed being pulled in his trailer but he hated the helmet. Finally we had to take it off and just go home. Doug was pretty sad that he hated it so much. Hopefully he will learn to enjoy it more.
I asked Doug to put some safety locks on the cupboard under the sink so James wouldn't get into all the cleaners. James decided that he had to help.

2 comments:
Well Natalie, look on the bright side, at least you know that if you ever have twins changing their dippers will still be easier then James (unless fish behavior is a heritable trait that all your kids will end up with, then it will be twice as hard), just a thought ☺
holy cow! I know what you mean about changing the diaper. Eliza's the same way. I try singing and making about every sound possible to keep her mind off the squirming, but I've had my share of getting the gross stuff on my hands. Good luck with that and the rashes. That does not look fun!
Post a Comment