Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Introducing...Michael David Allen

He's finally here! After waiting almost 40 weeks for this little guy we decided to be induced on Monday. We went to the hospital at 7:30 in the morning, the doctor broke my water about 8 or 8:30 and at 9 they started the pitocin. At about 1 the contractions became unbearable and I had an epidural, that was so nice! I think they were trying to speed things up though and didn't turn up the dose very high, because I still felt almost every contraction and some pain. We found out that it was a record day at the hospital, they had 12 women in labor and only 7 delivery rooms! I am glad we got there first. The doctor came in at about 7:30 to check and found that I was ready to start pushing. While we were waiting for him to get ready we heard the nurses talking in the hall about some of the other patients that were also ready to push, when we asked our nurse about it she said there were 6 women ready to push at the same time. It seemed like a crazy day at the hospital.
Just before the doctor came back in I asked Doug what time it was because I wanted to know how long it took when he was born, it was 7:41. The doctor came in and we started pushing. I think by this time the epidural was almost completely worn off because I could feel everything. Four pushes later at 7:53 we had our little guy, Michael David Allen.
Here are the stats:
Born May 18, 2009
Weight: 7lbs, 11oz
Height: 20 in
He has lots of dark brown hair, and everyone says he looks like James, which I agree with. Because it was so busy they didn't have time to even let the epidural wear off before they moved us to the recovery room, they just wheeled me down the hall in the delivery bed while I was nursing. It was very different.

James got to meet his little brother today. I was positive he would be indifferent to the whole thing, but he was so excited to see him. When Doug held him up he smiled at him and said "Hey, what you doing there?" It was so cute. Then he got to hold him. He loved it!


Soon after this they had to take Michael to the pediatrician to be checked. When he came back James was so excited. He said "My brother" and climbed up on the bed with us. Then he pushed my face toward Michael and said "Kiss" then after I gave him a kiss James gave him a kiss. It was so cute! I can't wait to get him home and see how they do together there!




6 comments:

Shannon said...

Welcome to the family Michael! We are glad everything went well for you all. We are very excited to see our new little nephew!

Kurt & Rachel Keyser said...

Congrats!

CL said...

Congratulations you guys! Glad everything went well and you had a room!!

Amber and The Boys said...

I am so excited to have a new little nephew. I kept calling my mom all day to find out if you had had him yet! I think he looks like James too. Those pictures and James' reaction are so adorable. We watch Nathan and Jack play together and know there is no better gift we could have given either of them than a brother. I bet James and Michael will be best of friends. Jack is excited that Michael has the same middle name as him. I told him and he said "oh-his mom must know he is bewoved (beloved) too!" (David means beloved). I wish I could hold little Michael!

Kyla said...

Yay! I'm glad you and Michael are healthy! Congratulations!

Josh said...

Congrats, Doug and Natalie! Both of my nephews are such good looking kids. Jack's introduction to our house as a baby involved Nathan hitting him in the head with a firetruck. Looks like James is feeling quite a bit more charitable toward cute little Michael!