Thursday, March 5, 2009

Gymnastics

Yesterday I signed James up for a parent-tot gymnastics class. I thought this would be a good way to let him get some energy out. We were the only ones in the class, so we joined with the 3-year-old class, which was surprisingly all boys. James had a really difficult time doing what he was supposed to be doing. There were so many new things that he wanted to try, his coach said they are all like that at first for a few weeks. I think it will be really good for James to have one structured activity in his life. Last night we went back with Doug and Uncle Tim to play around so I got to take some pictures and videos.

After the kids warm up for a minute they go to the floor to stretch, and practice some jumps. James didn't like the stretching but he loved the jumping. I think the floor is is favorite place, it was much bouncier then I thought it would be. This video is not taken on the floor, but you get the idea.

After that they did the balance beam. James did that really well. I knew he would like it because he is always trying to walk along lines on the ground.

After the balance beam we hopped over to the "high" bar. They had a really little one for the kids. James liked the hopping, but he didn't really want anything to do with the bar. After the bar we went to the foam pit where the kids practiced falling into it. James hated it so his coach took him over to the trampoline instead. This he loved, I guess it's anything to do with jumping! After the trampoline we went and joined the other class at the rings. James did really good hanging on and swinging out. His favorite part was running on the trampoline floor after. This is a video of Doug and James running on the floor and jumping into the pit (we didn't do this in class) James didn't really know what to think, but after a few times I think he started to enjoy it a little.


Finally we went back to the floor to sing the good-bye song and get a stamp. Overall I think James really enjoyed it, and I was exhausted by the end of the 50 minute class!

1 comment:

Amber and The Boys said...

How fun! We used to go to a gym like that for open gym time in Madison and it was heaven for the boys. Plus, maybe you will get a good nap out of him on those days!