Thursday, April 30, 2009

Adventures in a Big Boy Bed

James loves sleeping in his crib and he has always been a great sleeper. But now that he's two and he is going to have a little brother in three weeks or less we decided to make the switch over to a big boy bed. We knew we were going to have our hands full, since he never sleeps anywhere but his crib, no matter how hard we have tried. So we took everything out of his room that he could play with, shut the closet door, got his mattress ready on the floor (he's a pretty wild sleeper) and decided to see what happens. So here's how the past two nights have gone:
Wednesday:
8:00-change diaper, put on pajamas, say prayers on our new bed
9:30-He's been quiet for a while so we go to check if he needs to be moved to his bed. He is standing in the middle of the floor, there are diapers and wipes everywhere and he looks tired. We put him back in bed and he makes the saddest face, but he is brave and doesn't cry.
10:30-We haven't heard anything for a long time so we know he's asleep. We go in, move him from the floor to his bed and go to sleep.
On Thursday I go and buy a night light and a lock for the changing table door.
Thursday night:
8:00-change diaper, put on pajamas, say prayers on our new bed
9:00-He's been playing for the past hour so I go to check on him. He's playing with the night light and has a poopie diaper. So we change the diaper (again), say our prayers (again) and get in bed (again).
10:00-We are exhausted, James is still playing. We go to check on him. He is sitting in his rocking chair talking to the night light. We take the rocking chair out of the room and unplug the night light. Turn on the closet light and close the closet door. Put him back in bed and get ready for bed ourselves.
10:30- I hear knocking on the wall or a door or something followed by "come in". After a few minutes we hear the sounds of a recorder being played. He has gotten the closet door open and found some toys to play with. We put the toys out of reach, close the door, put a baby gate up and put him back in bed.
10:40-He has been quiet for a while when we hear a loud thud, but no crying. So I go to check to see what happened. James is laying in bed almost asleep. A toy had fallen off the closet shelf. So I quietly leave.
11:00- James is finally asleep, in his bed! Too bad he woke up at 6:30 this morning, he is a grumpy boy! How long does it usually take for a kid to get used to sleeping in a big boy bed? I guess we should have started earlier when I had more energy to do this.

3 comments:

Kurt & Rachel Keyser said...

Welcome to my life. Logan now alternates between his bed and the portacrib we set up in the room (that blocks the closet door).

Josh said...

Sounds like fun times for you guys! I'm sure James will get used to it soon. We moved Nathan to his big boy bed just before Jack was born. There were several nights when he'd show up next to our bed in the wee hours with some kind of announcement, like "I'm nice" or "I got boots!" Sleep is wasted on the young.

Amber and The Boys said...

I feel for you. Like Josh already said, we have had interesting experiences with moving to a big boy bed. Will baby be in a separate room? Because that was my biggest problem was Nathan getting into Jack's crib when we put them together at about Jack being 5 months old. Ugh! Just stick to it-he will get the hang of it. I can't believe I will have a new little nephew in three weeks or less! WOW!