Sunday, August 16, 2009

Boiling Frogs (By Doug)

Note: If you are some kind or animal rights activist or a member of PETA no animals were harmed during the following experiment, for the rest of you please remember this is done in the name of truth.


In my life I have been told many stories to convince me to be a good person and act correctly. I would guess most of you have also heard these and as I do you typically believe them and become a better person. My question is how do you even know if the story is true? If in fact you are told a lie by someone who is trying to teach you to do right is it possible they are trying to beguile you and lead you into temptation? So this brings us to our experiment:

Boiling Frogs
I don’t know how many times I have heard the story that if you throw a frog into a boiling pot of water it will jump out but if you put the frog into the water and bring it to a boil it will not jump out and die. My team and I have decided to test this story once and for all.


First lets meet the team:
Tims – Subject/Volunteer selection & collection.
James – Subject/Volunteer suitability verification (Suitability requirements being if you can survive a two year old boy for one and a half hours you can defiantly jump out of a pot).
Doug – Photographic documentation.

Please meet our volunteers:





Now that you are familiar with the plan we can show you the results:

As you see the frog placed in a pot of water that is brought to a boil will jump out. We did test this on both subjects. So we have in fact proved the story to be a bold faced lie. I say bold faced lie becuase the other half of the story is also false. A frog put in a pot of boiling water dies (Natalie was unhappy with our entire experiment and will not let me fully adress that portion on "Her" blog) but trust me on this one.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Yeah, maybe I really don't want any boys...

Amber and The Boys said...

Josh wonders how quickly you brought the water to a boil. Did you do it slow enough?

Dr. J said...

This is the funniest thing I've seen for a long time! I have a couple of garage mice that would be willing to volunteer for the next experiment.

Lindsey said...

I love that you tested it out! I've always been curious!

Jackie said...

You guys are certifiably insane!! I hope you gave your unfortunate test subject a proper memorial.